Star Wars: The Old Republic

By on October 11, 2011 in Gaming, SWTOR
Star Wars: The Old Republic

It’s hard for me to say that I’m excited about this game. So much of me wants to hate on all the things it’s doing wrong similar to other games; but it’s Star Wars… and Bioware. I’ve decided that even if the best I get out of it is a single-player Bioware RPG it’ll be worth my time.

I think most of us agree that starting a new MMO on launch day, or near it, is a lot of fun. Everybody is still discovering everything. No one knows the best place to level or the fastest route to the city or what’s down the dark cavern or deeper in the forest. The world is beckoning you to explore it and it’s all just very exciting.

It’s on that note that filch and I have decided to give the game a shot. Saying we’re hesitant is an understatement but curiosity has certainly gotten the best of us and we’ve spent some time talking over the details of the game. We’ll be joining The Sith Empire, hopefully on some sort of PvP server. As both our lives are busy the (tentative) plan is to play at a pretty casual pace.

Do any of you guys plan on playing? If so which side were you thinking of joining? I’d love to hear what aspects of the game you’re looking forward to.

12 Comments

1. Narshok
    Narshok on October 12, 2011 @ 8:44 am

I should mention that reddit has a plethora of information, from that community’s beta testers, that has answered most of my questions and given me a lot of insight into classes I was interested in.

I’m definitely more interested in the game after having read through several “beta experience” posts.

2. skallawag
    skallawag on October 12, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

I’m definitely going to try it out. Probably will suspend the WoW account after the new year to make time for this and Diablo 3.

3. Malarius
    Malarius on October 13, 2011 @ 7:33 pm

I’ve already preordered, without looking at Reddit. I’m going to give it a whirl.

4. Khrom
    Khrom on November 28, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

Well I played in the Beta for SWTOR this weekend. I went in not expecting much. I am very much a Sword and Sorcery kind of guy vs. all the Space stuff. However, after playing pretty solid for the better part of two days, I am tempted to give it a try.

I love the questing. This is SWTOR’s bread and butter if you ask me. It actually made me care about my character and not just want to pound out levels. The graphics were good. I wish the characters were a bit more fluid but over all I had no complaints. I didn’t do any PvP not did I even come close to seeing what the end game content was like but over all I was pretty impressed.

Here is what I played…
    Bounty Hunter to lvl 12
    Sith Inquisitor to lvl 10
    Imperial Agent to lvl 6
    Jedi Knight to lvl 6
    Trooper to lvl 5

The Jedi Knight and Trooper were a bit too goody goody for me. The decicions were too cut and dry. I pretty much knew what I was going to say with each interaction. The Bounty Hunter and Imperial Agent were much MUCH more fun to play and your answers were not as simple. The Inquisitor was fun for me because I didn’t take any “dark side” choices. Played as if I was picked by the Sith but was probably more destined to be a Jedi. It was a fun decision.

Will I play?… possibly. Still thinking on it, but would like to see who here is going to play as well.

5. Elderash on December 3, 2011 @ 11:16 am

I’m definately playing. Have the pre-order and have set up a mumble server in anticipation.

Replayability looks high, i imagine i will play all eight classes at some point.

I’ll be setting up a guild called on one of the servers.

We should all co-ordinate so we set up both a republic and a empire guild on the same server. I’ll set up on Empire. Don’t know which server, but thinking Proficy of the Five (sp?).

Mumble server is currently goblinbombsquad.mumble.com pot 8804 pass GBSTJR but will shorten it to bombsquad.mumble.com port 8804 Pass GBSTJR soon.

6. Toris on December 5, 2011 @ 6:34 am

I will most likely be trying out SWTOR, on a very casual and limited basis. My schedule simply won’t allow for much more than that. No idea what class I’ll play, but I am leaning towards Sith. The only class on the Republic side I’m interested in is Smuggler.

One thing I would like to do is explore the role playing aspects of the game. I really want to immerse myself in the characters I play and the world. To that end I’ll be looking for a RP-PVP server.

7. Gurgle on December 10, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

oh…. oh… no… but I wanted to have free time time. I’m not into Star Wars at all. Sure I’ve seen the movies, but I’m more into wizards and orcs. However, I’m more into playing with OG Jolly Rogers. Is there a healer PVP class or something that is sort of on the empire side of things?

8. Khrom
    Khrom on December 12, 2011 @ 7:53 am

Hey Gman! I am like you in that I am more into the Fantasy setting more than the Sci-Fi, but after playing beta I really like this game. Yes, there are actually three healing type “classes” in TOR. All of the classes are DPS classes, but three of them have a healing talent tree.

Sith Inquisitors (Sith Sorcerer) have a Corruption tree. They are more like your traditional caster types. Imperial Agents (Operative) have a Medicine tree. They are similar to druids in that they can stealth and have good H.O.Ts with a few big procs. Bounty Hunters (Mercenary) have a Bodyguard tree. Nothing like shooting your teammates with healing darts!

I played all three, although not as a healer, and they were all fun.

9. Khrom
    Khrom on January 30, 2012 @ 7:07 am

Just letting everyone know. Tharn, Suddry, Job, Ash, Neil, Mal and I are all playing this game still on the server Shadowtown. Just in case you feel like dropping by and saying hello. The guild name is Dust to Dust. We are mostly playing Empire.

10. Gurgle on January 30, 2012 @ 9:15 pm

Glad to her some of the OG OMFG pirate crew are playing stuff.

11. Fluffles on February 24, 2012 @ 1:36 am

NOSTALGIA TRIP

I am playing SWTOR with several friends (not sure how many of my IRL friends you remember as many of them were in Relentless and apart of the reason I parted ways with you cute gentleman originally). We’re pretty casual and are about to start operations on Port Nowhere Republic. Feel free to stop by and make alts or what have you, I welcome all. I’ve had several refugees from DnT/Relentless just because they don’t have the ‘hardcore’ juice in them anymore / IRL priorities now that they, like me, have less free time.

Anyway, I hope you read my wall of text.

But:

TLDR: I miss some of my hot pirate brethren and would love to catch up. I am way too lazy to make another alt just yet as I already have a main and 2 alts going and am pretty satisfied with how much gameplay I’m getting out of the game for my moneys ATM. If no one takes my offer soon to roll a Republic alt soon though (maybe a smuggler or jedi sage if you want to participate in casual Cat in Hat raiding?), I will likely cave and make an alt wherever you sassy lads are playing.

Stay cute,
    Fluffles.

12. Khrom
    Khrom on February 27, 2012 @ 9:40 am

What’s the guild name or your characters name? I will stop by and say hello one night.